Monday, September 4, 2017

Steak and Eggs and Cheese, Oh my!

It's simple. I have never been much of a meat eater. My German roots would say I should be a cheese eater, and I don't much like that either. But Greek yogurt, eggs and protein shakes were a fav of mine. In a typical week, I probably ate at least 5 eggs and drank a protein shake almost daily.

After reading Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation several years ago for a class I was teaching, I have struggled with the politics and disgust of the meat industry. It made me think about a lot of things related to health, so our family switched to grass-fed meat and pasture-raised eggs. Trying our best to eat the best possible resources available without killing it ourselves, we thought we were on the right track. We cut the dairy to small amounts and focused on more veggies and eating at home more often. 

And then, our son wanted to go vegan to lose weight, but it was difficult for all of us to adjust, so we didn't. After he went back to eating what we ate, it got me thinking that maybe he was on to something. Not because I wanted to lose weight but maybe the vegan life offered something I had secretly wanted for all the years we had tried to eat healthy in our current corrupt food industry. So, I bit the bullet. And then a few months later, so did my husband, and a week later, the whole family jumped on board. 

This is the beginning of a journey I want to share with those who may be considering the plant-based lifestyle, or simply cutting meat or dairy a few days a week. It has only been three weeks since our family has all jumped on board, but so far, we are trying new things, feeling great and a few pounds have been shed. The eggs have been traded in for oatmeal, fruit and granola, and the protein replaced with plant-based protein and several options for yogurt alternatives that are so yummy!

This past week, we have had frankfurters, enchiladas, and burgers. Here's a sneak peek of a few other yummy treats from our kitchen...
  Almond-Banana Granola
 
Asian-Inspired Salad
 with Peanuts
I am not totally sure where this will go, but I know we are having fun and feeling great doing it! There are so many options and so many things to explore in the kitchen. If you have tried plant-based meals, I would love to hear what has worked for you.















No comments:

Post a Comment